North Devon is delightful and Hartpiece is ideally situated to enjoy it. Are you looking for unspoilt beaches and adventure? Stately homes, quaint market towns and idyllic countryside? Then come to Hartpiece in North Devon.
Beaches and North Devon’s Coastline
North Devon has plenty of these. Here are a few of our favourites that are close by.
- Putsborough Beach is a local favourite, and everyone loves the bright painted beach huts at Woolacombe Bay.
- The Victorian Bathing Tunnels at Ilfracombe are another ‘must-see’. A network of hand carved tunnels that lead to unique sheltered beaches and a tidal bathing pool.
- Saunton Sands – measures at over 3 miles of stunning golden sand and plays host to some of the best surf in the country – when the conditions are right! Found between the villages of Braunton and Croyde, it is often the first beach that visitors to the area come across and provides a visually stunning introduction to the regional coastline. You can also hire beach huts for the day.
- Croyde Bay – perfect for surfing and home to the music festival, GoldCoast Oceanfest, which takes place every June.
- The best way to see the North Devon coastline is by boat. There are plenty of trips on offer from Ilfracombe Harbour.
- Bristol Channel Charters – offering coastal cruises, fishing and diving trips. They also do special trips to Lundy.
If you are looking for some attractions that the whole family can enjoy then you should check out Exmoor Zoo, The Milky Way and The Big Sheep. All are great if you have children and are open all year round.
If stunning scenery is more your thing then there Clovelly, Hartland and Lynton and Lynmouth are all within an hours drive from Hartpiece. There are a couple of National Trust properties in the area, including Arlington Court.
North Devon is a very popular spot for walking, and there are plenty you can take, right from Hartpiece. There is also the South West Coast Path, as well as the Tarka Trail that goes through Barnstaple.
Blakewell – situated very close to Hartpiece, it’s the perfect place for fly fishing. They also have a lovely waterside café.
If you are looking for something a bit more adventurous then why not check out
Ultimate Adventure Centre – offering activities ranging from a total wipeout style course to kayaking. Perfect for team building, kids birthdays and even stag dos.
Active Escapes – offering coasteering, rafting, surfing, assault courses, SUPing, kayaking, abseiling, zip lining and more.
There are also plenty of local surf schools in the area including
- Surf Southwest– based in Croyde and Saunton. They also offer horse riding, coastal walks, golf and cycling.
- North Devon Surf School – established in 1988 and based in Westward Ho! they are one of the UK’s longest running surf schools.
- Nick Thorn– based at Putsborough, the safest beach in North Devon.